Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oh the guilt

I love this little boy. I am head over heels for him. And... I have already screwed him up. Now my friend says that you can't screw up a three month old baby. Are you curious about how I've screwed him up??? Okay here goes... we still sleep together... and most of that is on the couch which also means that in the last 3 months I've probably slept in my bed with Dustin umm... hmm... well not enough let's just say that.

Now I know if any of you reading this are mothers you probably have some motherly advice to give me about things to try and I would love to hear them but really, this is my fault and my problem because I truly do love sleeping with him. I love feeling his breath on my cheek and knowing he is okay whenever I feel the "need" to check. It also does drive me nuts. I want to be able to sleep with Dustin, I want to sleep a solid night without my son draped across me BUT I know this won't last forever. I know that he WILL sleep by himself sooner than I am probably going to be ready. I love this little boy and when he's with me I know he's okay.

Please don't think that I don't leave him alone, trust me, I do. He has stayed with all of his immediate family members for several hours at a time and truthfully... during that time... I really didn't miss him too much. I like being me for a little while and not just Dax's Mom. I adore being Dax's Mom but any Moms out there know that from time to time ya gotta get yourself back.

As I type this Dax is sacked out on my shoulder... I should go lay him down but I know he will wake up immediately. I should go put him down, I will go put him down...... tomorrow....

Ya see my problem????

1 comment:

Megan Backman said...

I have the same problem!!! As of right now, to get Lily used to sleeping in her own bed we've done a few different things. First, she won't fall asleep if we put her down in her crib awake. We've tried, but it turns into screams and I'm not okay with the "Let her cry it out." mentality. Every night, I nurse her and then we lay down on the couch together. Usually I fall asleep and Nathan wakes me up around midnight/1am after Lily is totally asleep and you can move her without waking her up. If you try to soon, she wakes up and you have to start over again. Once she's asleep we put her in her crib and climb in our bed. I let her sleep in her crib for as long as she can. When she wakes up I'll go get her and then lay down with her again for the rest of the night. That way she has a chance to sleep alone, but knows if she wakes up I'll be there to cuddle her again if she needs me. We've also put a twin mattress on the floor of the nursery. That's where I slept last night cuz she wasn't feeling well and I wanted to be close to her. I agree with you that I love sleeping with her as much as she loves having me next to her. And they say you can't spoil a baby under 6 months of age... so I guess we don't really have to worry about this for another 3 months. :)