Saturday, February 16, 2013

New babies!


Today we got new baby chicks! I have been SO excited about our trip to Colville all week long and Dax has been almost as excited. Last weekend I spent most of the day Sunday reading blogs and doing research on different breeds of chicken. Looking for sweet breeds, breeds that were dual purpose so we could butcher any "extras" this fall and what colors I wanted to add to our flock. Cold hardy was almost one of the requirements. Well...for the most part... I stuck by what I was looking for. :) There are still a few more breeds I'd like to add to our flock but I think they'll have to wait for next year or at least later this spring.

We ended up with 10 chicks. 7 that are dual purpose, 1 that is pretty much just for eggs and two ornamental chickens. We have 1 Leghorn (which my brother says must be named Foghorn), 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black Polish and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Although there is a good chance we will be butchering 1 of the rhodies and 4 of the wyandottes... we're already coming up with names... which could mean a couple of our current buffs will be headed to the butcher in the fall. I'm finding that the ones we got "in mass" may be easier to part with-- we have 6 buffs and right now I can't tell them a part.

Here are some of the pictures so far....


 All 10 in one picture

 SO in love with his babies

 Black Polish

 Sleeping Rhode Island Red

 Sleeping Silver Laced Wyandotte

Foghorn Leghorn
Ha! Although this little girl will be all white and not red like her namesake

No comments: