Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Mom advice...

I went to one of my sweet friend's surprise mini baby shower yesterday and at one point our friend who organized the shower said she had hoped to create little note cards for all of us to write our advice to her on. I wasn't sure if anyone would be offended by what I would have written... here it is:

The best new mom advice I ever got after having Dax...

Ask when you don't know or are worried about something BUT
if your gut tells you something else, listen to it.
Sometimes the best advice is to NOT listen to every other Mom telling you
what she did, didn't do, would never do or thinks every mom should do.
Sometimes the best advice is to be YOUR child's Mom and figure it out for yourself.

I believe this came from my Mom during one of my crying fits. :)

While I have a very sweet friend who is my 'go to' with Dax questions or pretty much any quesiton under the sun, I have learned over the last two and a half years that really, truly it is best to go with what your gut is telling you when it comes to baby 'things.' I have heard too many stories about how a parent listened to their internal voice and saved their child from getting much sicker or even their life. I think my problem is I have always had an anxiety problem and whenever anything out of the normal comes up, I immediately think the worst-- I have been blessed though to not have my major anxiety attacks anymore. Those were the worst... okay getting off subject...

Being a Mom or Dad is hard work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. While it is full of hugs, kisses, snuggles and silly stories to tell, it is also full of tantrums, scrapes, bruises, talking back or not listening at all. It's full of HARD decisions every day but it is also the most rewarded job around.

 I am so blessed to be part of a team raising Dax. Dustin is the best and when I am about to lose my mind he seems to always swoop in with either his Daddy voice or his big arms to scoop Dax up and redirect him. THIS is why we're supposed to be with a partner when raising children because doing it on your own would be very, VERY hard! Not impossible, of course, but much harder.

I am blessed. I love my family!

No comments: